The Enrollment and Admissions Process
The following steps outline the admissions process. To get started, please contact our school expressing your interest in learning more about enrollment.
1. Once we have received a call or email from you, we will schedule an in-person meeting with you to tour our school.
2. During the school tour you will meet with Mary Hicks, our head of school. In this one and a half hour meeting, she will provide an overview of our school and take you on a tour. During that tour you will see the school facilities, discuss Montessori practices and how Montessori supports the development of the whole child. Our tours include an opportunity to observe a classroom for 30 minutes, as well as ample time to ask any questions you may have.
3. Should you wish to then apply for admission, you will fill out the application form, including a non-refundable $300 application fee. In this form, you can express any preferences for classroom placement or other information, like decision-making deadlines you may have. We do our best to take those preferences and scheduling constraints into account.
4. We will review your application form, determine if we have an appropriate opening in a classroom for your child and make a placement recommendation. We will also talk with you to assess your child’s readiness for enrollment, including, but not limited to, whether he or she is at least 30 months old and is independent in toileting.
5. If no opening is available for immediate consideration or your enrollment is for a future enrollment cycle, we will place your application in a waiting pool. We draw from this pool as classroom openings become available, taking age and gender into consideration. If we do have an opening and your child is 30 months or older and independently toileting, we will extend an invitation for you and your child to come for a classroom visit with the guide of the recommended classroom community.
6. During your meeting with the guide, you will both discuss whether the classroom is a good fit for your child and your goals for your child’s development. When parent and guide agree that the relationship is a good fit and the child has a strong likelihood for successfully assimilating into the classroom community, the school will extend an invitation for your child to enroll.
7. You will then fill out our enrollment forms and return them to the school online.
8. Once you return the paperwork online, the school will confirm enrollment and contact you with any necessary communications to ensure you and your child are ready to attend school at the specified start date (typically, children start school in the fall, although we do have some students join us mid-year).
The Portland Montessori School admits students of any race, color, sexual orientation, national origin, religious and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the School. The Portland Montessori School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sexual orientation, national origin, religious and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admission policies and other school-administered policies.